The Individual Quick Frozen process was developed by Clarence Birdseye. An ice-fishing biologist who, while ice fishing in Canada, noticed that the fish he pulled out of the water beneath the ice would instantly freeze solid when he tossed them on the snow. However, what stood out the most was the fact that some of these fish were alive even after they thawed. This surprising result had to do with the fact that when something freezes quickly, it forms smaller ice crystals than when it freezes slowly. Bigger ice crystals damage cells and tissue fibers. When those fish froze, the ice crystals were too tiny to rupture the cell walls, so some of the fish survived. This is the same principle through which the flash-frozen technique and IQF products were developed. Frigoscandia Equipment has also been credited for the development of the technology as a specific solution to block or cluster-freezing of small-sized products.
In brief, individual quick freezing is a technique through which you can freeze food individually by blast chilling them at a rapid pace. Spreading freshly harvested herbs, vegetables and fruits in a single layer on a slow moving conveyor through sub-zero air, the flash-freezing technology results in a free-flowing individually quick frozen product. The process protects the foods, securing the nutrients and flavour inside.
Benefits of the Individual Quick Freezing Technique-:
- The process allows for products to be quickly frozen and in individual pieces. This ultra-fast freezing of the food inhibits large ice crystals from forming thus preventing the cells within the food from becoming damaged. The end result is a better quality product than standard freezing processes. Thus, ensuring:
- Fresh flavour
- Higher quality
- Piece identity
- Easy to handle
- Low micro count
- Original shape, colour, smell, taste and nutrition intact
- It cuts down costs while ensuring accuracy, greater flexibility and unparalleled convenience to retail food manufacturers than block frozen fruits and vegetables, where one had to use the whole block or use a saw to be able to divide it into portions.
- It helps reduce waste and spoilage of fresh produce, as the items are individually frozen and can be used as per requirement and convenience. One does need to use the whole black at the same time. Thus, the process is a great step towards food industry's contribution to sustainability.
- With IQF, innovation becomes fast track and easy as you are able to do more with your existing production capacity, without making heavy investments.
- Simple and effortless to prepare ready to eat, healthy meals in no time.
Individual Quick Freezing Method has an application in practically every market-:
- Meat & Poultry
- Frozen meals & pizzas
- Organic Tropical Fruits & Vegetables
The Flex Foods Advantage
Each product that goes out for delivery by Flex Foods is 100% home-grown. We own our own farms and take utmost personal care of each produce, from field to finish.
We are one of the largest, word-class growers and processors of IQF products. Low in saturated fat, added sauces, sugars, and salt and high in fiber, vitamin and mineral content, individual quick frozen products by Flex foods are fresher than fresh.
Let us tell you how.
Produce quality begins degrading at harvest. Transport and processing take long hours and although some sellers put in the effort to deliver top-notch goods as fast as possible, retail food manufacturers end up getting spoilt, lower-quality produce. Freezing is just a way of putting nature on hold. Besides, fresh products often need acidifiers, stabilizer and preservatives to keep the product fresh while frozen products do not require any of that, making them much more flavourful and organic.
Our product range includes IQF herbs, fruits and vegetables.
Herbs - basil, borrage, celery, chervil, cilantro, curry leaves, dill, fennel, fenugreek, garden cress, hyssop, lemon grass, lovage, marjoram, mint, oregano, parsley, pimperella, rocula, rosemary, sage, savory, sorrel, thai basil, thyme and flat parsley.
Fruits - apple, mango, pineapple and chikoo.
Vegetables - sweet corn powder, broccoli, cauliflower, green peas, okra, sweet corn, spinach, spring onion and white onion.
For more information on the product range you can visit us at www.flexfoodsltd.com/individual-quick-frozen
With more than 32 years of experience in the industry, we come with a solid know-how into what works and what doesn’t when it comes to the integration of IQF technology in your food production pipeline. This makes Flex Foods an ideal partner for your food company. Take advantage of our rich knowledge and expertise and get ahead of market developments.